Friday, January 23, 2009

Come On Feel The Japanoise

I think it would be neat to visit Japan. Their culture fascinates me, from the samurai period to the present day. Some of my favorite people and things have come from there, as well as some of the weirdest things I've ever seen. It's no surprise that their music scene is as varied as the rest of their culture. I'm gonna focus on three of my favorite Japanese bands: Merzbow, Boredoms, and Boris.



Merzbow (Masami Akita) is one of the most respected noise artists today. The biggest reason I like him and other noise artists like him is because I know how conventional music is played and recorded (what kind of guitar was played on a certain track, what effects were added later, etc.). When I listen to Merzbow, I have no fuckin' idea how he does what he does. It's just pure raw emotion and noise, and I love it.

Good Places To Start: 1930, Door Open at 8 AM



Boredoms were started by Yamantaka Eye, who sang for the noise band Hanatarash. Their earlier stuff was totally crazy, while keeping the typical rock band lineup. (You know: guitars, bass, drums, singer.) They became popular in the early 90s, touring with such bands as Nirvana and Sonic Youth. Their newer music isn't as wild as the older stuff, but it's still really good. I dig any band that tours with three drummers (especially if this is one of them. Gotta love Yoshimi!).

Good Places To Start: Chocolate Synthesizer, Vision Creation Newsun



Boris is a drone/stoner metal band that was named after a song by the Melvins. Their early albums usually had really long, droning songs on them. For example, their first album was just one song that lasted over an hour. They started making albums with shorter songs around 2000, which is good for me and my short attention span. If you don't think Japanese girls are some of the most beautiful in the world and Yoshimi wasn't enough proof to open your eyes, maybe Wata (their guitar player) might.

Good Places To Start: Heavy Rocks, Pink

2 comments:

  1. I didn't think of them. I've only heard "Teeny Shiny", but I really liked it. What else would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete